Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » first ever clone (oracle 10.2.0.3.0 on linux)
first ever clone [message #288806] Tue, 18 December 2007 14:56 Go to next message
giovannym

Hi guys,

I've recently been promoted to dba since our old dba left but I don't really have any experience whatsoever. I've been tasked with cloning our PROD database over to our DEV or development instance. So I basically need to refresh DEV with a fresh copy of LIVE as of tonight.

I've been reading/googling a lot of info and steps on how to do it, but I wanted to ask if any of the experts here might give me some tips as to what I should especially watch out for when doing this. I'm a bit nervous because our DEV and PROD are on the same server, yeah I know sigh (one of my tasks is to bring our new box up to house our PROD).

I guess i'm posting here more out of nervousness since it's my first clone.

Sry for my rambling,

newb dba

Re: first ever clone [message #288809 is a reply to message #288806] Tue, 18 December 2007 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> give me some tips as to what I should especially watch out for
You have not mentioned how you are doing it!.
You can use RMAN clone, just cold copy clone (copy the database files), use export/import (not a clone exactly, but people use the term invariably).
All options are discussed over the forums to the gory details. Just search.

Regards
Re: first ever clone [message #288812 is a reply to message #288806] Tue, 18 December 2007 15:14 Go to previous message
giovannym

thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Um, I've outlined manual steps on doing it, copying the files, and such but I was thinking of possibly using the EM option for cloning. I'm thinking that uses RMAN.
Previous Topic: Processor license query
Next Topic: archive log
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 14:20:42 CDT 2024