Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Comparing data structures
Comparing data structures [message #283549] Tue, 27 November 2007 07:58 Go to next message
kathirmect
Hello,

i am currently in a project involving standardization of SCADA. For this we have two different oracle servers. Is there any
possiblility to compare the 2 data structures. THe main reason to compare the data structure is to get a picture on which one
is better for us. Since i´m a control engineer, i don´t have any idea about DBMS. I need an effective solution to find the most efficient DB by comparing the existing ones.

I would be happy if someone could help me on this by suggesting some tools or books.

Thankyou,
Re: Comparing data structures [message #283551 is a reply to message #283549] Tue, 27 November 2007 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/75634/0/
Re: Comparing data structures [message #283560 is a reply to message #283549] Tue, 27 November 2007 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>I need an effective solution to find the most efficient DB by comparing the existing ones
IMHO,
It depends on how you define efficiency and what exact factors you are measuring or trying to calibrate.
Re: Comparing data structures [message #283565 is a reply to message #283549] Tue, 27 November 2007 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kathirmect
THanks a lot for your quick response.

For me efficiency means, i would prefer a server which requires less maintenance. So how feasible it is, if i use a SQL query
tool or a compare tool. I need to know whether i can first of all get a solution using such tools. You are absolutely right
on the fact dealing with the factors i´m measuring and calibrating. Yes, the DB has all the information related to the
process and parameters. As i mentioned earlier i want to figure out the dissimilarities in either DB and want to make an analysis with this solution.

Thanks once again,
Re: Comparing data structures [message #283584 is a reply to message #283565] Tue, 27 November 2007 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
This may be a little confusing to you as we speak different literature.
What I am trying to say is, you cannot grade a database just by comparing its structure/design.
Sure, you can see if they adhere to some standards/best practices but cannot derive its efficiency based on settings.
Usually a database is tuned to the requirement.
For example, a database with a smaller block size is not essentially inferior to a database with larger block size and vice versa.
As it been pointed already, there are a lot of schema level/ Database level comparison tools which could
compare and report you the gory details.
I believe you are looking into a simulation/load testing tool (or may be I overlooked). In these tools,
you set the same scenarios(n users, x-y load, response time for a particular set of predefined operations etc) for each database, do the simulation, record the activities and compare how the database responded.

>> DB has all the information related to the process and parameters
I suppose, you are using an Oracle RTDB somewhere in your master station.
Depending on the complexity of the operations, i would start looking into
Risk Analysis,some load testing and scalability.
You can compare the database settings using the above said/any tool.
If you find there would be a bottleneck in performance in specific area, you can look further.

>>Yes, the DB has all the information related to the
process and parameters.
If you can identify which database tables hold the process information, you can write a simple query to list the differences or use the GUI tool.

[Updated on: Tue, 27 November 2007 09:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Comparing data structures [message #283590 is a reply to message #283584] Tue, 27 November 2007 10:08 Go to previous message
kathirmect
Well, thanks a lot for your time.Now, I got a very good idea but will have to gather more information on this. Because i´m just a beginner to these stuffs. I will come back to you if i get stuck somewhere.
Previous Topic: Migration of oracle 10gR2 files from one host to a another
Next Topic: Autoextend Datafile
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 14:09:03 CDT 2024